Categories
Uncategorized

reflection — post OLT 201.2

As I review my first post for this course (OLT 201) I realise that I set up my introduction describing myself and research interests, which is how I interpreted the task. The way I understood this activity was about creating a multi media experience to increase audience engagement. If the task was to encourage greater interaction and to ‘enhance social presence’, I would definitely have changed up the written content to reflect my interest in the course materials and then added some urls of directing students to engaging websites, connected to the course. I don’t necessarily feel that I would change either my audio commentary or the photo, but would update to written content to include contact information and invite students to contact me directly with any questions.
In terms of ‘cohesive responses’ I already try to mindfully practice these activities in any course I teach, whether online or face to face. But not until the course is well underway so that might be something that I would change.

The reality is in 2021 we all have some form of digital footprint, even if we didn’t create it ourselves. The concept of ‘social presence’ is a positive direction to move in, but I think we also should be aware with so many new and engaging social media formats out there, students may already have established certain opinions or assumptions that we as instructors have no control over. We cannot manage these assumptions, but rather meet each learner with equity, respect and good humour, and that is a good start.

One reply on “reflection — post OLT 201.2”

Equity, respect, and good humour. A productive entry point into relationship indeed, Maureen. Thanks for your observations here!