Categories
OLT 301

OTL 301 – 2 Compassionate pioneers and effect teaching practice

After reviewing the article by Anderson et al. (2001) I do not feel that my views of effective teaching practice have changed exactly but maybe I can see a framework that might provide needed structure for analysis. However, I feel that authors’ frameworks of assessment do not include essential qualities of intuition and compassion. Even the metaphorical pioneer teachers had to rely on their creative side to find ways to keep students engaged, and in most cases, deal with the struggles of loneliness in rural and isolated environments and likely a chronic lack of resources (book, pencils and chalk).

One practice that flows from the compassion is also the ability of teacher as advocate, and even in an online course we must be willing and able to assist students connect with mental health resources, or financial aid/student loan information. Often this is challenging for contract faculty who sometimes are teaching multiple courses, for different institutions during the same semester.
Perhaps the most significant characteristic that generates effective teaching practice is self-awareness for our own individual needs. The ability to pull back, and to take a critical look is essential but also sometimes a luxury that contract faculty do not think they have. The idea of teaching presence needs to be promoted grounded in a well-rounded sense of connectedness; one that not segment life from outside the classroom or computer forum. One interacts and impacts the other as with any other occupation, and we must be ready to evaluate and find solutions to both challenges in both spheres.