Categories
OLT 101 Uncategorized

OTL 101 – 4 FEEDBACK Loops

I found the Hattie article on feedback to be the most useful analysis thus far in OTL 101 as it provided a detailed and well-structured discussion thus it was easy to follow. Some of the thoughts or points in the model were thought provoking, (such as) the opening questions students might have of course material; the different forms or modes of feedback and the diverse variables in student response to the feedback. While I often personalize my comments on written assignments, I didn’t see that the personal connection might actually be distracting to both myself and the student. I always include a written rubric or breakdown of the assignment elements, and then include a written statement that explains the same in a more personal way. I see now that there might be unexpected messages in that personal connection. When I am the creator of course outcomes, the assessment/assignments it is much easier to design a rubric and grading form. As a OLFM it is a greater challenge since I did not have a direct hand in the assignment creation, although I can see, and adequately assess the assignment outcome.

The cultural/educational aspects Hattie mentions are a bit too general when assessing probable influences to a student’s acceptance or integrating feedback. While it is good to understand and support the individual students background, and their own goals and challenges, (especially since personal goals are integral to student success), it is risky to build separate feedback systems based on cultural assumptions, leading to biases or discriminatory practices. As Instructors we should care about where students are at and be aware of our own ‘ways of knowing’ that is sometimes an impediment to our teaching, and feedback response.